Meet the Team
Mr J Maw (Head of House), Mrs A Powell (Student Manager), Miss L Mason, Miss K Wynne, Dr A Cook, Mr M Bramhall, Mr B Elston, Miss C Jamison, Mrs N Chaudhri, Miss K Walsh, Mr P Calvo-Garcia, Mr D Hussin, Mr K Moore, Mrs H Clarke.
The History of Norcliffe
Norcliffe Hall is a large house near the village of Styal, Cheshire, England. It stands to the west of the village and to the north of Styal Country Park. It was built in 1831 for Robert Hyde Greg, the owner of Quarry Bank Mill, and designed by the Lichfield architect Thomas Johnson. In 1860 a four-stage tower and a billiard room were added.
It is constructed in orange brick in Flemish bond brickwork with pink sandstone dressings. It is roofed in Welsh slates, and has octagonal brick chimney stacks. The architectural style is Elizabethan. It has an irregular plan, and is in 2½ storeys with a south front of four bays. It was designated as a Grade II listed building on 6 March 1975.
During the 20th century the house was used as a care home for the elderly. As of 2007 it was converted into residential apartments. The house is surrounded by parkland and lawned areas.
The Chapel has existed since 1823and is still used today. In the 21st Century context, the Chapel welcomes all who wish to worship with an open and enquiring mind. The Chapel’s tradition is rooted in liberal Christianity but does not insist that everyone should have exactly the same beliefs. Today, their search for spiritual, ethical or religious “truth” may also draw on wisdom from other religions, philosophies and approaches to life. The focus is on how we live our lives rather than beliefs.
There have been three heads of Norcliffe House. The first Head of House was Mrs G Winder who was in post from 1992 – 1996, she was replaced by Mrs P George who remained in post until 2010 when Mrs C Dunn who had previously been in position as Team Leader PE took over. The current Head of House as of September 2014 is Mr J Maw
Every year Norcliffe staff and students nominate a local charity to support. Last year we raised over a thousand pounds for St Anne’s Hospice and in 2010 we raised in excess of £1500 for The Children’s Adventure Farm Trust.
This year Norcliffe are supporting The Seashell Trust, which is a charity based in Cheadle Hulme. It comprises a residential Special School and an Independent Specialist College as well as registered care homes for children and young people. The Charity, previously known as Royal Schools for the Deaf, Manchester has a long and rich history (1823) providing specialist education and care facilities for young people from across the UK