Pupil Premium & Catch-up Premium

What is the purpose of pupil premium?

Publicly-funded schools in England get extra funding from the government to help them improve the attainment of their disadvantaged students.

Evidence shows that children from disadvantaged backgrounds:

  • Generally face extra challenges in reaching their potential at school
  • Often do not perform as well as their peers

The pupil premium grant is designed to allow schools to help disadvantaged students by improving their progress and the exam results they achieve.

Who is eligible for pupil premium funding?

Schools get pupil premium funding based on the number of eligible students they have from the following groups.

  • Students who have been on free school meals at any point in the last 6 years
  • Students who have been eligible for free school meals under the temporary extension set out in the Covid-19 DfE guidance to schools
  • Students who have been adopted from care
  • Students who have been looked after children at any point
  • Students recorded as being the children of serving members of the Armed Forces at any point in the last 6 years

How do is pupil premium funding used?

Pupil Premium funding is used to improve attainment for disadvantaged students. Evidence suggests that pupil premium spending is most effective when it is used across the 3 areas below but focusing on teaching quality.

  • Training and professional development for teachers
  • Academic support for students
  • Wider support for students

Details of our pupil premium strategy can be found below:


Who should I contact if I want to find out more?

Mrs Kath Stephens provides a single point of contact for Pupil Premium related queries:


01625 – 441094

Applying for Free School Meals

Due to the ongoing digitalisation of processes with Cheshire East, the paper Free School Meals and Pupil Premium application forms should no longer be used. All applications for both need to be made online or by phone.

If you think that your may qualify for free school meals or for Pupil Premium, Please apply for FSM or PP Online at www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/fsm or by telephone on 0300 123 5012.



Catch-up Premium

The government have provided additional funding to support children and young people to catch up lost time after school closure. This is especially important for the most vulnerable and disadvantaged backgrounds. Further details can be found at the link below:



16-19 Tuition Fund

The 16 to 19 tuition fund is one-off funding for the 2020 to 2021 academic year only. It is intended to mitigate the disruption to learning among students aged 16 -19 arising from coronavirus (COVID-19).

The students supported by this funding all need to be those who had not achieved grade 5 or above at GCSE in at least one of English or Maths by age 16.

Our analysis of need among our students suggests that the most effective spend of this funding is on the small-group and individual support designed to:

  • Build their resilience to cope with learning in the Covid-climate and perseverance with challenging tasks
  • Enable them to improve the application of their generic English and mathematical skills to the particular demands of the subjects being studied

The funding has therefore contributed towards the cost of:

  • Additional Learning Mentor time within the sixth form (extra 1 fte in total)
  • Additional tutor support for students on lower prior attainment 16-19 Study Programmes (extra 0.4 fte in total)

This team operate throughout each school day in the Sixth Form Supported Learning Zone and in relevant curriculum bases.

Additional staffing within the English and mathematics teams has been supported by other funding streams.

Full details regarding this government fund can be found here – https://www.gov.uk/guidance/16-to-19-funding-16-to-19-tuition-fund